The first step in being a lion is to apply for admssion and to be accepted. You will receive an acceptance letter from the Admissions Office.
The second step is to register for Southern Welcome on Tuesday, November 21st. Southern Welcome is a half-day enrollment & orienation event. Faculty advisors and student support staff will be available in one location to enroll you for classes and assist you with finances and payment plans. A reservation is required to ensure we have enrough faculty advisors. The reservation link will be made available on September 22nd. Southern Welcome flyers will be mailed to all students who are admitted to the university the third week of September.
If you are not able to attend Southern Welcome, you can schedule an appointment with a faculty advisor during "Open Enrollment' for new students beginning November 20th. Please mention you are an incoming freshmen when making the appointment. You can refer to the enrollment checklist below to ensure you have met with the appropriate departments to assist you in completing the enrollment process.
The third step in being a lion is to join our Facebook page at "MSSU First-Year Students"
Spring classes begin Tuesday, January 16, 2018.
- Schedule an appointment with an advisor in the department of your major. Please refer to the Administrative Assistant contact list. If you are unable to reach someone in the department of your major, please contact the Advising, Counseling & Testing (ACTS) Office to schedule an appointment to enroll.
- Transcript: Request an official a semester high school transcript be sent to the Admissions Office. If you earned dual credit, request an official college transcript be sent as well.
- Student Bill: Your bill be posted to your LioNet account once you have enrolled. It is your responsiblity to check your LioNet account and settle your bill by the due date. If you need to set up a payment plan or pay for the semester, contact the Bursar's Office at 417-625-9381, http://www/mssu.edu/student-affairs/bursar/ or stop by Hearnes Hall 105 for assistance. Payment via cash, check, Visa, MasterCard, Discover, or American Express will be accepted.
- Financial Aid: File your FAFSA if you plan to apply for any financial aid. The Financial Aid counselors are available during working hours to meet with individual students. For more information, visit the Financial Aid website at http://www.mssu.edu/financial-aid or contact the office at 417-625-9325.
- If you are going to receive outside scholarships, have you turned in all scholarship documentation to the MSSU Scholarship Office? For more information, contact the Scholarship Office at 417-625-3161.
- Medical History: All students are required to provide the Willcoxon Health Center with a medical history form, proof of 2 does of Measles, Mumps, Rubella (MMR) vaccine or an immune titer. If you are living in campus housing, you cannot move in until you provide proof of a current Meningitis vaccine (MCV4) at age 16 or older). Download the medical history form and view detailed requirements at: mssu.edu/student-affairs/willcoxonhealth-center-requirements. (Bring or mail the completed medical history form and a copy of immunicastion records to the health center.) Once enrolled, students are required to complete an online Tuberculosis (TB) Risk Assessment on LioNet which will determine if you need a TB test or to submit documentation. ***All immunization requirements must be met before the students are permittted to attend classes. If you would like to review your record with the Health Center and/or discuss vaccinations, you can reach them at Willcoxon Health Center in Billingsly Student Center Room 242 or call 417-625-9323.
Medical History Form
- Lion Card and Parking Permits: You will need to go the Campus Card Center in Billingsly Student Center Room 109 to process your Lion Card and register your vehicle. You will need a state or federal-issued photo ID and a license plate number for your parking permit.
- Disability Accommodations: If you are a student with a disability and need special accommodations, please notify the Coordinator of Student Diability Services, Lori Musser at email@example.com or 417-625-9516 prior to enrollment.
- Email Activation: You are issued a school email account for all MSSU-related communication. You will have to activate that account before it can be used. Contact the Information Technology (IT)office at 417-659-4444 to get the information you need and directions to activate your email account.
- Placement Tests: Some courses may require ACT scores for placement and may therefore require you to take the necessary prerequisite courses. Refer to the Course Placement and Math Class Prerequisites.
- Rental Books: A list of required books for your classes will be available on your LioNet account after you have enrolled. Rental & purchase textbooks can be picked up in Billingslty Student Center. You will need your Lion Card ID to pick up your rental books.
Please contact the First-Year Experience Office if you have any questions at 417-625-9731.
Director, First-Year Experience
Southern Welcome Coordinator
3950 East Newman Road
Joplin, MO 64801